Frugal Pages

Thursday

Saving money on new clothes!

Clothing our family on a budget has not always been an easy thing to do.
Thankfully, there are many strategies that can help make it more budget friendly. 

One of the ways came about unexpectedly... the mail! The other day I got a postcard in the mail from Kohls. Usually I do not shop at those department stores because I thought that they were too expensive. But boy has that perspective changed! With a bit of patience, and knowledge of working deals, you can really make a difference in your clothing budget.  Now it may not be the same for all department stores, but Kohls really has some great deals. On the postcard that I got it had a gift card for $10.00 off a $10.00 or more purchase.

Like this one.
Now when you read the fine print on the back of the card you will see that it says... 'can be combined with other discounts and offers'. So I also signed up for the Kohls e-mail list. And in doing that I get weekly e-mails from them.  Many times they have additional coupons that can be used. Some that I have gotten are...

  •  $10.00 of a $20.00 purchase
    Or 
  • 15% off entire purchase. 
So they are a great way to stretch that $10.00 gift card that I got in the mail.

Another way to stretch it is to look in the clearance sections of the store. Kohls usually has a large clearance sections so there can be fantastic deals to be had!
Here is what I got last time I got a gift card in the mail and my receipt to show the discounts.

I was able to get a pair of shorts for myself that were on clearance for $3.00 and a pair of underwear for 3.20.  And a  biking shirt for my daughter for $5.60.  The total that I ended up paying for all of it was only $1.93!

With this purchase I did not end up using any other coupons or discounts, other than the clearance prices, but I have in the past.

The great thing is that they keep sending me more! I thought that once I used the first one I would not get any more but that is not the case at all. I have no guarantee that they will continue to come but I will happily use the them for as long as I do.

I have been able to get several things for free and super cheap because of those cards. I have gotten 2 pairs of shorts, 2 underwear and a shirt for myself. 3 shirts for my daughters and a pair of convertible pants for my husband. We also got a super deal on a coat for my daughter that we will be giving her for Christmas.  For all of it my out of pocket has been well under $20.00.  Each time that I go, with the gift card in hand, I am never sure what I will get. But by looking over the clearance racks I can always come up with something that is needed.
I know that by only spending close to that $10.00 mark each time means that I can not get a completely new wardrobe for all of us. Or for that matter for one of us but  I can get us things that we all like and that can replace some more worn out pieces that are in our closets. Or be able to better afford the needed ones, like the biking shirt for my daughter!

So, go sign up for department stores mailing lists and e-mail lists. Read the fine print on all of the offers to see how, or if they can be combined and you never know what deals might come your way because of it!

No comments: